is a general view of Birmingham, and brings to life the plan of 1731 (also by
Westley). The River Rea, banked by pleasant undulating meadows, is seen in the
foreground of the picture, with the cattle, sheep and horses of the neighbouring
farmers grazing there.
the river at Deritend the old bridge can be seen, with St. John's Chapel close
by. Behind a stretch of well-wooded meadows and fields which in medieval days
formed the Park of the Lords of the Manor.
Manor House and its buildings can be seen with the moat around it still preserved.
Closely encircling the church of St. Martin's, whose tall spire makes it easily
recognisable, are the homes and workshops of the tanners, smiths, nailers, lorimers
and tradesmen of the neighbourhood.
Tower of the Free Grammar School in New Street rises above the other buildings
around, while to the right of it is the newly completed church of St. Philip.
Below St. Philip's Church are some gardens which may have been the first allotments,
always so popular in Birmingham." From virtualbrum.co.uk
very wide margined example about 40" x 20", with an engraved image size of 34"
x 16", laid on canvas over wooden stretchers. There are two short marginal
tears and a 10" tear along the line of the right hand plate mark (see close up
light staining and a handful of foxing spots, almost all confined to the margins.
A clean and very attractive copy of this scarce early view of Birmingham. Currently
in a distressed 19th century oak frame, which is not suitable for posting but
free for collection.